Cerrado ahora

Civil matrimony

Get to know this procedure in depth and find out which documents or requirements will be needed in order to request this service at the Fifth Notary of Manizales.

What is civil matrimony?

It is the formal union of a couple, in order to be recognized as married before the civil authorities, giving them the rights and duties of a conjugal union.


Single people:

  • Photocopy of their birth certificates.
  • Original national ID card
  • Marriage application.
  • Authenticated copy of the birth certificate, if the marriage is held in Colombia with a maximum of one (1) month of being married, if the marriage takes place abroad, then three (3) months.
  • Birth records must include “valid for marriage/válido para matrimonio” in the text.
  • If the couple consists of minor, they must present written permission from their parents or legal guardians. However, the notary will not marry minors under 14 years of age.
  • A special power of attorney, in the case of marriage by power of attorney.

Divorced or widowed people must attach:

  • An authenticated copy of their birth certificate, if it is celebrated in Colombia with a maximum of one (1) month of being issued; if it is celebrated abroad three (3) months, with its respective marginal notes of divorce and liquidation of the conjugal partnership.
  • Birth certificate of the spouse.
  • In case of being a widow, a death certificate of the spouse.
  • Copies of the book and/or books where the divorce or cessation is recorded.
  • Copies of the books of cessation of civil effects of marriage and liquidation of the conjugal partnership.

Foreigners – the documents must be valid, not more than three (3) months since being issued:

  • Marriage application.
  • Passport or foreigner’s identity card.
  • Official translation of the birth certificate, apostilled.
  • Certificate of being single or something equivalent to this.
  • If the person does not speak Spanish, an official translator to intervene in the celebration.


What happens if one of the contracting parties cannot attend?

The union can still be done, you only have to attach a power of attorney that is recorded in a public deed or by a private document, duly authenticated.

If you are a foreigner, it must be apostilled and/or translated.

What should I do if there are already children in the relationship before we get married?

You must attach the birth certificate of the children you have in common for their legitimization.

What if either of you was married before?

The following documents must be attached:

  • Birth certificate with divorce notice.
  • The dissolution and liquidation of the conjugal partnership, and in the case of being a widow, a death certificate.

Do I have to legalize my marriage in Colombia if I got married abroad?

That is correct, all marriages celebrated abroad between two Colombians by birth or a Colombian by birth and a foreigner must be registered under Colombian law, the apostilled marriage certificate must be presented and, if necessary, officially translated into Spanish by a certified translator.

Can a minor have a civil marriage?

In Colombia it is still legal only if it meets the following requirements:

  • They must be over 14 years old.
  • They must have written and authenticated permission from the parents and/or legal guardians.

Let us know how we can help you.

Carry out your procedures online or, if you prefer, carry out your notarial procedures directly at the Fifth Notary of Manizales.

Confidence in yourself is the first secret to success. The second is to arm yourself with transparent allies who take care of you and document the most important steps in your life.
At the Fifth Notary we are trustworthy!

Skip to content